Top 15 Quick Low Carb Food Ideas
A major barrier that people often perceive when trying to change their eating habits is a lack of time. Over the past week, I have heard from three different people that the reason they can’t seem to stick with a healthy way of eating is purely to do with a lack of time and proper planning. And I completely get it!
Let’s be honest, most of us today have so much going on that trying to cook and eat healthfully is way down on our list of priorities. However, if you start on the slope now where you put this off, eventually this will catch up on you. Whether that results in a weight gain, poor energy, a lack of concentration or a complete burnout, your body will start revolting against a poor nutritional lifestyle.
To eat in a good way, you do not need to stand at a cooker for hours on end. Or you do not need to be an amazing chef to make a meal that tastes half decent. The great thing about this way of eating is the foods themselves are so tasty and you can make so many meals and snacks that literally take minutes to put together.
Below are some of my go to food options that you can rustle up when time is against you. A lack of time may feel like a warranted excuse as to why you can’t stick to this but I think this can be an excuse to easily get around:
- Meat Roll Ups- 2-3 slices of deli style meat (i.e. ham, chorizo, parma ham etc.) layered with 1 teaspoon of full fat mayonnaise, 3 slices of hard cheese, 1 pickle and 1 tomato
- Tuna Cucumber Boats- Tuna mixed together with white wine or apple cider vinegar, chickpeas or sweetcorn and chopped onion (or you can make tuna mayonnaise). Remove the core of the cucumber and spoon the tuna mixture into the middle
- 5 minute cream cheese stir fry- chop a selection of whatever veg you have in the fridge (you can have as much or as little as you would like), stir fry with some garlic and onions. Add in any protein source like smoked salmon, bacon, cooked chicken, tuna etc. Mix together with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese and ¼ of a ball of mozzarella. Season with paprika and chilli flakes and serve warm
- Cheese, nut and apple selection (if keto swap the apple for berries)- Slice half an apple into small cube pieces, chop up 30g of cheese (roughly a matchbox size) and mix together with 50g of mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts and hazelnuts)
- Easy egg bake- Take a selection of veggies (e.g. peppers, onion, spinach, courgette, aubergine, tomatoes) and fry in a large frying pan. Crack in 2-3 eggs and spilt the yolk. Top with paprika and cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve and eat immediately.
- Lettuce wrap- take a leaf from an iceberg lettuce and fill with anything you would normally place into a sandwich, roll and eat.
- Pepper Slices- Use any colour of pepper and cut into quarters. Layer the pepper with a slice of lettuce, cream cheese and 1-2 slices of salmon
- Cream cheese egg mayo- boil 2-3 eggs and mash together with 1tbsp of cream cheese topped with paprika
- Tuna and Pepper Mix- use one can of tuna, mix in ½ a red pepper (chopped), ½ a green pepper and ½ a yellow pepper (can change colours depending on what you would prefer) mix together with some olive oil and apple cider vinegar or with full fat mayonnaise.
- Nut butter and celery sticks- Exactly what it says on the tin, take sticks of celery and top with your nut butter of choice (almond, walnut, peanut etc. make sure that they are all of a natural brand with no sugar in them).
- Crispy bacon with guacamole- Grill up some rashers of bacon until crispy then use to dip in some guacamole.
- Berries with cream and chocolate- A large handful of berries topped with cream and 2 squares of dark chocolate (above 70% cocoa) crumbled on top.
- Mini Salami Pizzas- take individual salami pieces, layer with 1tsp of tomato paste, top with cheese and a slice of tomato and sprinkle over some herbs e.g. basil then place in the microwave for 1 minute or under the grill for 2 minutes until crisp
- Seed crackers- These are the recipe that was emailed out a few weeks ago but these make a great go to food. Top with some pate, cream cheese or have plain with some butter.
- Smoothie- A smoothie makes a great quick go to meal or on the go snack. Use one of the recipes that I have sent you and if you don’t have them message and let me know.
I hope some of those options help when it comes to quick snack and meal ideas. If any of you have a good go to low carb snack option and would like to share, I would love to hear from you.